Choir & Music
The Epiphany Choir
The Epiphany Choir, the church’s primary choral ensemble, consists of professional section leaders and volunteers. The choir sings at the Rite II Eucharist at 10:00 a.m. each Sunday. Hymns and service music are drawn principally from the Episcopal Hymnal 1982, and supplemented by selections from other Episcopal and ecumenical musical resources. The choir has long been known for the excellence of its choral offerings in the Anglican tradition, from chant and Palestrina through to Howells and Stephen Paulus.
The Epiphany Choir sings Sunday mornings, September to Trinity Sunday, and at special services and concerts during the year and performs a wide range of music.
We periodically look to increase the choir’s membership: if you enjoy singing and socializing with other musicians, please contact our Director of Music, Dr. Jinsun Cho at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202.347.2635 x 407.
Since Epiphany was founded in 1842, music has played a vital role in the life of the parish. Today, Epiphany has fine musical instruments frequently used in both concert and worship.
The Steinway D nine-foot concert grand piano
The Steinway D 9’ concert grand piano was a gift to the church in 1984, in memory of parishioner and vestry member Betty Shinkman. It is used frequently in both worship and the Tuesday Concert Series. In addition, a 1916 Steinway 5’7” baby grand is located in the second-floor Choir Room.
Epiphany’s grand 64-rank, 3,467-pipe Æolian-Skinner pipe organ
Dr. Jinsun Cho plays A Festive Voluntary on our Aeolian-Skinner organ.
Dr. Jinsun Cho plays Bach’s Toccata in C BWV 564.
Epiphany’s grand 64-rank, 3,467-pipe Æolian-Skinner pipe organ, one of the last instruments of the Æolian-Skinner Organ Company of Boston, Massachusetts, was installed in 1968 and has recently been restored by the Di Gennaro-Hart Co. of Washington, D.C. It was originally given in memory of Adolf Torovsky, Epiphany’s organist and choirmaster for nearly fifty years, and it replaced the Ernest M. Skinner Organ Co. instrument of 1911. However, pipes from the Roosevelt (1874) and the Skinner (1911) instruments were incorporated into the current instrument. Notable Music Directors at Epiphany in the recent past have included: Garnell Copeland (1966–1977), in whose memory the Trompette-en-Chamade (1978) was given (Epiphany remains the only organ to contain two en-chamade reed stops in the D.C. metro area), Charles Callahan (1977–1986), James Buonamani (prior to his move to St. James Episcopal Church, Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles), Eric Plutz (1995–2005), now Organist at Princeton University, and Christian Clough (2005-2011). The organ’s curator is Bard Wickkeiser, curator of the organs in Washington National Cathedral and the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.
Anton Skrabl Continuo Organ
The Church of the Epiphany is pleased to allow the use of this instrument in situ or outside by individuals, business and musical groups. The organ has 3 stops; 8’, 4’ and 2’. It is transposable up and down a half step from A440. The casework is of oak. The manual keys have plum naturals and ebony sharps.
With the permission of the Director of Music, the organ may be used for up to four days at a base rate of $350, plus $50 for each additional day. Our authorized technician can transport the organ to and from performance venues for a fee. For additional information and rental policy details for this organ, please see our booking form linked here: