Posts by epiphany

October 20: John Stephens Graham (1976) & Elizabeth Breckinridge Graham (2005)

John S. Graham (d. October 20, 1976) and Elizabeth B. Graham (d. October 25, 2005) lived the majority of their married life in suburban Maryland with their four daughters. When it came time to choose a church home, the Grahams made the decision to bypass several nearby churches and attend Epiphany in downtown Washington where their children would be exposed to a wider variety of people. John Graham, a native of Reading, Massachusetts, grew up in North Carolina, attending the University of North Carolina and the University of Virginia Law School. After leaving the Winston Salem firm of Vaughan and Graham to serve as an officer in the Naval Reserve during World War II, Graham became assistant to the under secretary of the Treasury. In 1948, President Truman appointed him assistant secretary of the Treasury. In 1957, President Eisenhower named him a commissioner of the Atomic Energy Commission and a delegate to the International Atomic Energy Agency.

Elizabeth B. Graham was born in Monterey, Pennsylvania and grew up in the Washington, D.C. area. Her father was the assistant secretary of War under President Woodrow Wilson. Elizabeth later compiled a journal of recollections of her childhood in Washington in the early 1900s. Her first ride in an airplane was with her father’s friend Charles Lindbergh when they flew over Washington in 1927. Her mother was lost at sea off the coast of Iceland in 1941 when a ship she was on was torpedoed by a Nazi submarine. Elizabeth was a graduate of Vassar College and had a lifelong interest in education. She devoted countless hours to such programs as Reading is Fundamental, which encouraged reading in inner city schools. She was the founder of the Tuesday School, a weekly after-school enrichment program at the Church of the Epiphany for fourth graders from a local school. Following their deaths, the funerals of John and Elizabeth Graham were held at Epiphany.

< Previous     Next >

October 19: Eleanor Augusta Norcross (1923)

Eleanor Norcross was an artist, collector, and museum founder. She was born in 1854 in Fitchburg, Massachusetts. Her father, Amasa Norcross, was a lawyer, became a member of the Massachusetts legislature, mayor of Fitchburg, and eventually a member of the U.S. House of Representatives. Her mother, Susan Augusta Norcross, was a schoolteacher and known for her work with the Ladies’ Soldiers’ Aid Society. Both parents instilled in Eleanor a commitment to her community that she honored her entire life. Her young brother Nelson died of scarlet fever during the Civil War, and her mother died of consumption a few years later. These sad deaths left Eleanor and her father as a small family that remained close throughout their lives. Norcross attended the Massachusetts Normal Arts School in Boston to become an art teacher. She obtained her teaching certificate and began to teach drawing in Fitchburg. When her father was elected to the House of Representatives, Norcross accompanied him to Washington, D.C., where she acted as his hostess.

While in Washington, the Norcrosses became associated with the Church of the Epiphany. A year after their arrival, Eleanor was baptized at the church. Three days later, she was confirmed there. At the age of 24, Eleanor moved to New York City to attend classes at the Art Students’ League. Her teacher, noted American Impressionist painter William Merritt Chase, was so impressed with her talent that he urged Eleanor to continue her studies in Paris – the art capital of the Western World in the late 1800’s. While in Paris, Eleanor’s skills and reputation as a painter grew. Her paintings were exhibited in Paris, New York City, Boston, and Chicago. Eleanor collected textiles, dishes, and furniture while living aboard, with the dream of creating an art center in Fitchburg. Although she did not live to see her dream of opening an art center fulfilled, her bequest of her collections and funds made it possible to open the Fitchburg Art Center in 1929 – “for the joy and inspiration of art.” In 1951 The Fitchburg Art Center became the Fitchburg Art Museum, where Eleanor Norcross’ legacy lives on.

< Previous     Next >

October 18: +William Rollinson Whittingham (1879)

William Rollinson Whittingham was the fourth bishop of Maryland and it was in his diocese that Epiphany was founded in 1842. Whittingham was only four years older than Epiphany’s founding rector, John French. Consecrated at age 35, Whittingham was the youngest bishop in the Episcopal Church at the time and had been in the position a year and a half when Epiphany’s founding meeting was held. Whittingham was born in New York City, the first child of Richard Whittingham and Mary Ann Rollinson. His younger brother and only male sibling also became an Episcopal priest. He was educated at home and later attended General Theological Seminary (GTS), graduating in 1825. He received a Doctor of Sacred Theology degree from Columbia University in 1827. Whittingham was ordained a priest in 1829 and served parishes in Orange, New Jersey and New York City before accepting a professorship at GTS. In 1840, a diocesan convention elected Whittingham bishop of Maryland. On September 17 of that year at St. Paul’s Church, Baltimore, Whittingham was consecrated and thus became the 36th bishop in the American succession.

The diocese of Maryland at the time of Whittingham’s consecration included the entire state of Maryland and the District of Columbia. Whittingham’s first visit to Epiphany was in March 1842. Although he kept Baltimore as his see city, he would make annual visitations to the DC churches. He presided at a service at Epiphany in January 1852 for the consecration of the original church building. His last visit was in April 1873. The little mission church that grew up during his episcopate would play host to the consecrations of Whittingham’s next two successors – Pinkney in 1870 and Paret in 1885. At the time of his consecration Whittingham was the youngest of the American bishops. At his death he was the second-oldest, having been in office thirty-nine years. In the book “The Episcopate in America, ” William Stevens Perry writes, “Whittingham was a scholar of rare attainments, a sound theologian, an impassioned speaker, a clear debater, and a most devoted bishop. Outspoken, fearless in his defense of the right, scrupulously conscientious, and self-denying, he will ever be remembered among the foremost bishops of the American Church.”

< Previous     Next >

October 17: Dedication of Parish House (1911)

The following description of the dedication of Epiphany’s new parish house comes from a Episcopal Church newspaper of the time.

“On October 17, 1911, the parish house of Epiphany Church, Washington, was dedicated by Canon McKim [Epiphany’s rector]. The devotions consisted of a short and appropriate office authorized by Bishop Harding, and of addresses from various persons. Dr. McKim presented the house to the authorities of Epiphany parish on behalf of the donors. It was accepted by Nathaniel Wilson, Esq. [senior member of Epiphany’s vestry]. Canon Roland Cotton Smith [rector, St. John’s, Lafayette Square] spoke a few words of greeting on behalf of the clergy of the diocese, and the Rev. Wallace Ratcliffe [pastor, New York Avenue Presbyterian] spoke the felicitations of the citizens of Washington. The exercises were held in the splendid assembly hall (see accompanying picture). There are about twenty other rooms, including a large gymnasium and running track and also offices for the clergy, bedroom for the assistant minister, guild rooms, libraries and choir rooms. The east and west halls contain staircases providing easy access not only to the upper floors of the parish house proper but also to the great transept galleries of Epiphany church, which have hitherto been difficult to access. The new building is situated immediately in the rear of the church and is so designed that every room in it is flooded with light.

“This addition will add greatly to the equipment of Epiphany parish for its work as a downtown church. Two sisters, life-long members of Epiphany church, Mrs. B.H. Buckingham and Miss Isabel Coleman Freeman gave the $50,000 needed for this structure, and in addition several individual gifts were received for the furnishing of separate rooms [Willard and Dunlop]. The architect is Mr. Frederick H. Brooke [Dr. McKim’s stepson], of Washington.”

< Previous     Next >

October 16: Charles Duell Kean+ (1963)

On January 27, 1954, Bishop Angus Dun installed Charles Duell Kean as the twelfth rector of Epiphany Parish. As a guide for its search for a new rector, Epiphany’s vestry determined that it wanted a man under fifty who “must be evangelical or orthodox and have high spiritual qualities, be a preacher, have an interest in young people, and an ability at organizing and directing church work.” Kean was born in West Point, New York, but of Virginia ancestry. He attended Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island and worked for five years as a newspaper reporter with the Providence Journal. Pursuing a call to the ministry, he attended General Theological Seminary and was ordained in 1937. Kean served parishes in New York City; Springfield, Massachusetts; and Kirkwood, Missouri before coming to Epiphany. He brought with him his wife Jane and three children, one of which (Anne Schmidt) is still an Epiphany parishioner today.

Dr. Kean served as an instructor at George Washington University until 1960 when he was named associate professor. He was nationally known as the author of numerous books and pamphlets. As articulate in the pulpit as with the pen, Dr. Kean expressed himself on many current issues and was outspoken on civil rights. He served many years as secretary of the Episcopal Joint Committee on Approaches to Unity. In 1960 with many Protestant clergy opposing the election of Catholic candidate John F. Kennedy, Dr. Kean lashed out at the bigotry of such a position.  In 1963, Kean praised the work of Pope John XXIII in opening the door on church relations. After only nine years, Dr. Kean’s ministry came to an abrupt end on October 16 when he suffered a heart attack in the church parking lot. Washington Star Religion Editor Caspar Nannes stated, “Washington lost a dynamic, imaginative and enthusiastic force for good when Dr. Charles Duell Kean, rector of Epiphany Episcopal Church, died suddenly last week.” After his funeral at Epiphany, Dr. Kean was buried in Epiphany’s plot in Rock Creek Cemetery. With the passing of his wife in 2008, Charles and Jane Kean were placed side by side in Epiphany’s new columbarium.

< Previous     Next >

October 15: Margaret Coleman Freeman Buckingham (1946)

Along with her sister Isabel and her aunt Sarah, Margaret Buckingham was one of Epiphany’s most loyal and generous benefactors. Over a period of 50 years and often with attempted anonymity, Margaret Buckingham’s support was present in almost every aspect of Epiphany’s operation and ministry. Born in Washington, D.C. in 1857, Margaret was the youngest child of William Grigsby Freeman and Margaret Cassatt Coleman. Her wealth stemmed from an iron furnace business in southeastern Pennsylvania started by her great grandfather, Robert Coleman. The house at 1525 H Street, NW in which Margaret was born was purchased by her parents and her aunt in the early 1850s. This is the house where Margaret was married to Lt. Commander Benjamin H. Buckingham by Epiphany rector Randolph McKim in 1894. This is the house in which Margaret died on October 15, 1946, aged 78. After funeral services at Epiphany, she was interred in the family plot at Laurel Hill Cemetery in Philadelphia.

Margaret Buckingham’s philanthropy extended far beyond Epiphany. Examples include the donation of local fire engines, the prevention of consumption and the improvement of housing conditions, sending inner city children to summer camp, gifts to the Red Cross during World War I, hospitals, disaster relief, civic projects, and on and on. Specifically at Epiphany, her gifts included a chapel for the Epiphany Church Home, a gymnasium at the SW Washington Mission House, a chapel at Camp (Fort) Meade, with the stipulation that it be named Epiphany; the Parish House that stands behind the church today and the bells in the church’s tower. Following her death, six stained glass windows were placed in the east transept in memory of Margaret and her sister. The theme is Matthew, Chapter 25 – “For I was hungry and you gave me meat….” The adjoining plaque reads, “The windows in this transept are dedicated to the glory of God and in loving memory of Isabel Coleman Freeman and Margaret Freeman Buckingham whose faith and good works are woven into the life of this church.”

< Previous     Next >

October 14: Nathaniel Theodore Wilson (1922)

Nathaniel Wilson was a prominent Washington, D.C. lawyer and a long-time vestry member of the Church of the Epiphany. Wilson was a native of Zanesville, Ohio and graduated from Shurtleff College, a law school in southwestern Illinois. By 1861, he was admitted to the bar and living in Washington, D.C. During the Civil War years, he served as an assistant U.S. district attorney. Eventually Wilson would found and become a principal of the law firm Wilson, Huidekoper & Lesh.  Wilson’s son, Clarence Rich Wilson, was also associated with the firm. Wilson was a member of the American Society of International Law, was a delegate to the Universal Congress of Lawyers and Jurists and a member of the District of Columbia Bar Association, of which he was elected president for four terms.

Wilson’s first connection with Epiphany was his 1863 marriage to Annie E. Hutton. The Wilson’s marriage spanned 53 years and produced seven offspring, all of which were baptized and confirmed at Epiphany. Two of the children were married at the church and two were buried from it. In 1870, Wilson was elected as parish register, serving for four years. In 1874, he was elected as a vestry member and served in that role for the next 48 years. After Wilson resigned the role in the last year of his life, his fellow vestry members paid him tribute. “In former years his interest in the church was a very live one and his service as a vestryman marked by exemplary devotion. His recognized ability as a lawyer was attested by his election to the presidency of the District Bar Association and on all occasions when legal advice in the business of the church has been needed Mr. Wilson freely and devotedly gave both his advice and services for the benefit of the vestry.” Wilson’s funeral took place at Epiphany and was conducted by the bishop of Washington, Alfred Harding.

< Previous     Next >

October 13: Ransom Hooker Gillet (1876)

Ransom Hooker Gillet held a variety of positions in the federal government including two terms as a member of the U.S. House of Representatives from New York. Born in New Lebanon, Columbia County, New York in 1800, Gillet pursued an academic course before studying law in Canton, New York. He was admitted to the bar and commenced practice in Ogdensburg, where he resided for about twenty years. In 1825 he married Eleanor Barhydt, of Ogdensburg. In 1827 he was appointed brigade-major and inspector of the Forty-ninth Brigade of Militia, and for ten years drilled and inspected six large regiments in St. Lawrence and Jefferson counties.  He was appointed postmaster of Ogdensburg, which office he filled about three years. Gillet was a delegate to the first national convention of the Democratic Party that nominated Andrew Jackson for the presidency.

Gillet was elected as a Jacksonian to the Twenty-third and Twenty-fourth Congresses and served as a member of the committee on commerce. In 1837, he was appointed by President Van Buren as a commissioner to negotiate with Indian tribes in the state of New York. President Polk appointed Gillet as Register of the Treasury serving from 1845 to 1847, when he was appointed Solicitor of the Treasury. He was then appointed Assistant Attorney General of the United States and served from 1855 to 1858. President Buchanan appointed Gillet as solicitor of the court of claims, serving from 1858 to 1861. Gillet retired from public life in 1867 and engaged in literary pursuits. He died in Washington, D.C. The funerals of Ransom (1876) and Eleanor (1881) Gillet were both held at Epiphany. Ransom was originally buried at Glenwood Cemetery in Washington, but later reburied with Eleanor at the Cemetery of the Evergreens in New Lebanon, New York.

< Previous     Next >

October 12: John Taylor Arms (1912)

John Taylor Arms was a prominent Washington, D.C. businessman and a devoted parishioner of the Church of the Epiphany. Born in Lansingburgh, New York, Arms was the second child of Roger Newton Arms and Lucretia Jane Taylor. In early youth, he entered the importing department of New York City’s A.T. Stewart & Co. dry goods store, the birthplace of the modern day department store. About 1870, Arms came to Washington, D.C. and secured an appointment in the Treasury Department. Here he remained for two years, when he resigned to engage in the real estate business. He served as president of the Arms & Drury firm, which was a real estate, insurance, and note broker. The offices were initially located in the Le Droit Building at 8th and F Streets, NW (the location of the Spy Museum today) and later moved to Epiphany’s Endowment Building, which was located next door to the church (where the 700 13th St office building stands today). Arms was a member of the Washington Stock Exchange and a director of the National Metropolitan Bank.

In 1879, John Taylor Arms married Kate Corcoran Watkins, the daughter of Epiphany’s former rector, Wilbur Watkins. After the birth of the couple’s first child, Mary, the Rev. Mr. Watkins returned to Epiphany to perform the baptism. Mary Watkins Arms was later married at the church by Bishop Harding. The funerals of John Taylor Arms’ mother (1883) and wife (1904) took place at Epiphany. Following these events, Arms placed a stained glass window in the church in their memory. The window is in the middle position on the west side of the nave and is the work of the Tiffany Studios. The name of John Taylor Arms (JTA) has continued through several generations. JTA Jr. was a noted etcher and one of most famous printmakers of the early 20th Century. JTA IV was an Episcopal priest and passed away in 2006. The home on New Hampshire Avenue built by John Taylor Arms in 1908 is today the Embassy of the Democratic Republic of Congo. Following Arms’ death in 1912, his funeral took place at Epiphany, where he had served as a vestry member and parish treasurer.

< Previous     Next >

October 11: AIDS Memorial Quilt (1987)

The Quilt is a powerful visual reminder of the AIDS pandemic. Today, more than 48,000 individual 3-by-6-foot memorial panels — most commemorating the life of someone who has died of AIDS — have been sewn together by friends, lovers and family members. The Quilt was conceived in 1985 by long-time San Francisco gay-rights activist Cleve Jones. While planning the 1985 annual candlelight march, Jones learned that over 1,000 San Franciscans had been lost to AIDS. He asked each of his fellow marchers to write on placards the names of friends and loved ones who had died of AIDS. At the end of the march, Jones and others stood on ladders taping these placards to the walls of the San Francisco Federal Building. The wall of names looked like a patchwork quilt. Inspired by this sight, Jones and friends made plans for a larger memorial. A little over a year later, he created the first panel for the AIDS Memorial Quilt. In June of 1987, Jones teamed up with Mike Smith and several others to formally organize the NAMES Project Foundation.

On October 11, 1987, the Quilt was displayed for the first time on the National Mall in Washington, D.C., during the National March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights. It covered a space larger than a football field and included 1,920 panels. Half a million people visited the Quilt that weekend. In the accompanying photo, Epiphany’s panel can be seen in the upper right hand corner and surrounding panels for parishioners including Larry Smith, David Pickford, and Stephen Scott. Today there are NAMES Project chapters across the United States and independent Quilt affiliates around the world. Since 1987, over 14 million people have visited the Quilt at thousands of displays worldwide. Through such displays, the NAMES Project Foundation has raised over $3 million for AIDS service organizations throughout North America. The Quilt remains the largest community art project in the world. A memorial, a tool for education and a work of art, the Quilt is a unique creation, an uncommon and uplifting response to the tragic loss of human life

< Previous     Next >