Posts by epiphany

March 21: +Ronald Hayward Haines (2008)

Ronald Hayward Haines served as the Seventh Bishop of Washington for the last decade of the 20th Century. Carved on his tomb at Washington Cathedral are the words, “Courageous and Staunch Advocate For All People.” His life’s journey had taken many twists and turns. A native of Wilmington, Delaware, he was a graduate of the University of Delaware School of Engineering and for ten years pursued a career in that field. It was due to a significant health crisis that his wife suffered that Haines had a spiritual reawakening. Participation in local prayer groups led to seminary study and eventual ordination to the priesthood. After serving at parishes in New York City and North Carolina, Ronald Haines was called to Washington, D.C.

Several historic events at Epiphany marked Haines’ ministry over the next 14 years. In special diocesan conventions held at Epiphany, Haines was elected bishop suffragan (1986) and then bishop diocesan (1990). In 1991, Bishop Haines ordained at Epiphany the Rev. Elizabeth Carl, an open lesbian, which caused a period of protest and internal examination. Following Bishop Haines’ call for an election for a new suffragan bishop, a special diocesan convention at Epiphany elected Jane Holmes Dixon, the third woman in the Anglican Communion to become a bishop. In 1994, Bishop Haines instituted Randolph Charles as Epiphany’s 14th rector. Near the end of his episcopate, Bishop Haines joined Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold at Epiphany in celebrating the ministry of Pamela Chinnis.

< Previous     Next >

March 20: Wheelock Graves Veazey (1898)

After his education at Phillips Exeter Academy and Dartmouth College, New Hampshire native Wheelock G. Veazey proceeded to study law. His legal career was quickly interrupted with the outbreak of the Civil War. Veazey enrolled as a private and rose in the ranks to become commander of a Vermont Infantry regiment. He led this unit at the Battle of Gettysburg on July 3, 1863. Twenty-eight years later, he received the Medal of Honor for his actions during that engagement. Veazey’s first daughter was born about the time of the battle. She was named Anne Gettysburg Veazey. Following his military service, Veazey was elected to the Vermont State Senate. The Vermont legislature later elected him as a judge of the Vermont Supreme Court.

Veazey’s appointment by President Benjamin Harrison as a member of the Interstate Commerce Commission in 1889 brought him to Washington, D.C. Within a year, Veazey’s daughter, Anne, was married at Epiphany. Following his death in 1898, Veazey’s funeral took place at Epiphany with his interment afterwards at Arlington National Cemetery.

< Previous     Next >

March 19: Marsha Ann Friberg Shinkman (2012)

A native of Jamestown, New York, Marsha Shinkman’s career in education spanned 47 years. Following her graduation from college, she taught at elementary schools in Pennsylvania and New York. Later, she became public relations director at the American School for the Deaf in West Hartford, Connecticut. While in Hartford, she earned a Master’s Degree in English from Trinity College. An opportunity at Stanford University’s development office took Marsha to Palo Alto, California. She later transferred to Washington, D.C. when she became assistant director of Stanford’s Washington program, which welcomed students to the nation’s capital.

Upon arriving in Washington in the early 1990’s, Marsha was no stranger to Epiphany. Her husband, Chris, was one of three sons of long-time parishioners Paul and Elizabeth Shinkman. Marsha served on Epiphany’s vestry. She was an active volunteer throughout the city supporting the Shakespeare Theatre, the Kennedy Center and Washington Cathedral. Marsha is remembered for her “bubbly, outgoing personality.” As a lasting tribute of her spirit of hospitality, one of the movable chairs added in Epiphany’s most recent renovation was given in Marsha’s memory.

< Previous

March 18: James William Hamilton Lovejoy (1901)

Two hospitals that came into being in Washington, D.C. in the latter 19th Century were Children’s (1871) and Garfield Memorial (1884). Dr. James Lovejoy was involved with both of these charitable institutions. Lovejoy was a Washington native and attended Columbian College (now George Washington University). His medical training came at Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia. In addition to a general practice in his native city, he also became a professor at Georgetown Medical School, eventually becoming president of the medical faculty. In 1881 he was elected director and consulting physician to the Children’s Hospital. He was one of the founders of Garfield Memorial Hospital (shown here) and served as a consultant until his death.

Children’s Hospital still exists today under the name of Children’s National Health System. In 1958, Garfield Memorial Hospital merged with Emergency and the Episcopal Eye, Ear and Throat Hospitals to form Medstar Washington Hospital Center. The first mention of Lovejoy’s family in Epiphany’s records is the marriage of his younger brother in 1864. In the 1870’s, all three of Dr. Lovejoy’s daughters were confirmed at Epiphany. Two days after his death on March 18, 1901, the funeral of James W.H. Lovejoy was held at Epiphany Church. His tombstone at Glenwood Cemetery reads, “The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God.”

< Previous     Next >

March 17: First Mixed Vested Choir (1893)

The introduction of a mixed (male and female members) vested (wearing a black cassock and white surplice) choir at Epiphany was prefaced by the 1890 renovation of the church. In an attempt to anchor Epiphany to its downtown location, the vestry voted to make improvements and embellishments to the church. New York architect Edward J. Neville Stent designed and carried out interior changes, which centered around the movement of the choir and organ from the rear balcony to a rebuilt and enlarged chancel. New chancel arches were added. The 1874 Epiphany window was moved to the rear of the church and replaced by a larger (current) window of the same theme. A wrought iron rood screen was erected between the chancel and the nave.

With the choir, which had been mixed for several decades, now seated in a more visible position in the front of the church, it became vested. This occurred in the spring of 1893. The choir was enlarged and by the spring of 1895 under organist-choirmaster H. Clough Leighton, there were five paid soloists and a total of twenty female and fourteen male members. In addition to its participation in morning and evening services, the choir had for more than a decade been giving annual concerts such as Gaul’s “Holy City” in 1894. On that occasion, the audience was so large that it overflowed into the Sunday school room, and the choir was prompted by demand to repeat its performance two months later.

< Previous     Next >

March 16: William Holland Wilmer (1936)

His grandfather was a prominent Episcopal priest and a founder of Virginia Theological Seminary. His father was the second bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Alabama. William Holland Wilmer chose a different course for his life’s work and after graduation from the University of Virginia Medical School, devoted his career to treating diseases of the eye. He practiced ophthalmology in Washington until 1925 when he went to Baltimore to establish the Wilmer Institute of Ophthalmology at Johns Hopkins University. He later returned to Washington as a professor at Georgetown University, where he served for the next 28 years. During this time he was also a surgeon at the Episcopal Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital, an institution Epiphany played a part in founding and supporting.

Wilmer married Re Lewis Smith and the couple was married at her church in Philadelphia. After moving to Washington, they became associated with Epiphany. All of their children were baptized there by his father, Bishop Wilmer. During World War I, Dr. Wilmer served in the U.S. Air Service and was a pioneer in the establishment of visual requirements and ocular conditions for aviators. Wilmer’s name appears on the World War I plaque at the rear of the nave at Epiphany. Throughout his life, Dr. Wilmer served faithfully as a trustee of the National Cathedral Foundation. After his death, he was interred in the Cathedral Crypt. The plaque nearby reads: “A physician of surpassing skill, a great surgeon and investigator, who with humbleness of mind and unbounded sympathy, brought sight to the blind, and dedicated his life to the welfare of the suffering and to the glory of God.”

< Previous    Next >

March 15: Kangiduta (Scarlet Crow) (1867)

Scattered among the 55,000 graves at Congressional Cemetery in Southeast Washington are the final resting places of 36 Native American leaders, diplomats, and tribal members. Many of them ended up there after falling ill during visits to Washington, D.C. to fight for rights, negotiate treaties or settle debts owed to them. One of those cemetery residents died under mysterious circumstances. Kangiduta, or Scarlet Crow, a chief of the Wahpeton Sisseton Sioux Tribe of the Dakota Territory, had come to Washington in 1867 to renegotiate a treaty with the U.S. Government. There was much tension between native nations and the federal government in the 19th Century. Before his work here was done, tragedy struck. Scarlet Crow was reported missing on February 24.

Scarlet Crow’s fellow tribesmen were immediately concerned and requested an official search. An ad was placed in the lost and found section of a local newspaper offering a $100 reward for information. Two weeks after his disappearance, Scarlet Crow’s remains were found in the woods near the Aqueduct Bridge (today’s Key Bridge) in Arlington. His death was made to look like a suicide, but there were many facts to disprove that theory. The cause remains unsolved to this day. Scarlet Crow’s remains were buried in Congressional Cemetery and in 1916, 49 years after his death, the federal government finally placed a marker on his grave. Epiphany’s parish register records the burial of “Scarlet Crow, Counsellor of the Sisseton Sioux.”

< Previous     Next >

March 14: Ammi Burnham Young (1874)

In April 1857, Epiphany’s vestry asked local architect Ammi Burnham Young, to prepare plans for a renovation and enlargement of the church. At this point, the building was still as originally built – a plain rectangular structure with a low-gabled roof. In addition to a church renovation, the plan Young submitted envisioned developing the church’s property to include a school building and rectory. The only part of Young’s plan that the vestry approved was the renovation of the church, which included the addition of a new front tower, transepts and shallow chancel. This first expansion of the church took place during the summer and fall of 1857 and was completed at a total cost of $18,500.

Young, a New Hampshire native, learned his trade by studying pattern books and apprenticing with existing architectural firms. His early work with churches, Dartmouth College buildings led to him being chosen to design the Vermont state house, his first monumental work. In 1850, Young entered the competition to design enlargements to the U.S. Capitol. Although a leading contender, his loss was compensated with an appointment as the first Supervising Architect of the U.S. Treasury. In this role, Young produced designs and specifications for federal buildings across the nation. In addition to Young’s professional relationship with Epiphany, he also made it his church home. The funerals for two of his wives plus his own took place in the renovated church he designed.

< Previous     Next >

March 13: Mary Hewitt Doubleday (1907)

Mary Hewitt’s father was a Baltimore attorney. Her mother died when she was just eight months old. Mary was handed off to a succession of relatives and friends. While living in Washington, she met Lt. Abner Doubleday. He would later write that he was “fascinated by the bright eyes of a Washington belle.” On January 28, 1852 Abner Doubleday and Mary Hewitt were married at the Church of the Epiphany. As was the custom with some military wives in those days, she followed her husband from post to post, even on his most dangerous deployments. Though she had been called a belle, she quickly became a “lady of the Army.” She was at her husband’s side when Apaches attacked in Texas, when he fought against the Seminoles in the Everglades, and when their steamship nearly sank in shark-infested waters off the Florida coast.

Mary accompanied her husband to what seemed to be a safe assignment when he was sent to Ft. Moultrie in Charleston harbor in 1858. Things took a turn for the worse and the defense of the fort was inadequate. The War Department refused to send reinforcements. For a time, Mary Doubleday stood watch on the ramparts to relieve the weary soldiers. Capt. Abner Doubleday became second in command in the garrison at Fort Sumter. He aimed the cannon that fired the first return shot in answer to the Confederate bombardment that started the Civil War. Mary Doubleday was back in Epiphany in 1864 as the baptismal sponsor for George Norris Sykes, the son of one of her husband’s West Point classmates.

< Previous     Next >

March 11: William Dickson Baldwin (1915)

For 64 years, William D. Baldwin was an active and devoted member of Epiphany Parish. Upon his relocation to Washington at age 17, he immediately became associated with the church, where his cousin, the Rev. John W. French, was serving as rector. Within a decade, Baldwin was acting as secretary at annual meetings. In 1872, he was unanimously elected Junior Warden, serving for 34 years until he became Senior Warden, a position he held for the last nine years of his life. He was for many years the superintendent of the Sunday school, a member of the Board of Trustees of the Epiphany Church Home, and President of the Board of Trustees of the Lenthall Home. For nearly fifty consecutive years he represented the parish as one its lay delegates at diocesan conventions.

Professionally, William Baldwin was a patent attorney as evidenced by the accompanying advertisement for his law firm. Mr. Baldwin was one of the charter members of the Washington Patent Law Association, serving as its president for a time. Mr. Baldwin was connected with the litigation over the Bell telephone inventions and was after its termination, counsel for many other prominent inventors, such as Lord Kelvin, Sir Oliver Lodge, and Marconi, whose first patent in wireless telegraphy, he secured. Upon his death, Epiphany’s vestry resolved, “Mr. Baldwin’s whole life as citizen, lawyer, and churchman has exemplified in a remarkable degree the best type of the Christian gentleman, and has been an inspiration to his associates in and out of the church.”

< Previous    Next >