Posts by epiphany

September 4: Albert Smith White (1864)

Albert S. White served in the U.S. Senate from Indiana and was one of the earliest members of Congress to be associated with the new Epiphany congregation. White was born in Orange County, New York into a family that valued education. His father was a graduate of Columbia College (NY) and served as a judge on the Common Pleas Court. The younger White graduated from Union College with the highest honors and then studied law. He removed to Indiana, eventually settling in Lafayette, which became his home for the rest of his life. Election to the U.S. House of Representatives on the Whig ticket brought White to Washington in 1837. After serving one term, he was elected to the U.S. Senate and served one term (1839-1845).

While in Washington, White married a local girl, Harriet Wilson Randolph. The couple’s first two children were baptized at Epiphany – Randolph in 1843 and Albert, Jr. in 1844. On both entries in the parish register is the note, “sign of cross omitted at request of father.” After White’s Senate term was complete, he returned to Indiana to practice law and also served as president of several railroads. White was once again elected to the U.S. House and served for one term during the Civil War. He was a member of the Select Committee on Emancipation. Later, he was made a judge on the U.S. District Court for Indiana, a position in which he served for the remainder of his life. Following his death, White was buried in Greenbush Cemetery in Lafayette. On his tree trunk looking stone grave marker are the following words, “In all relations of life, admirable; as a friend, sincere; as a citizen, public spirited; as a lawyer, honest; as a legislator, wise; as a judge, without reproach.”

< Previous      Next >

 

September 3: Margaret Gwendolyn Barge (2008)

In the early 1960’s when Margaret Barge transferred to Epiphany from a predominantly African American parish, she became a racial bridge builder of sorts. Dr. Martin Luther King had once said, “it is appalling that the most segregated hour of Christian America is eleven o’clock on Sunday morning.” Through the racial unrest that followed Dr. King’s assassination and for the rest of her life, Margaret became a pillar of the church. For more than 20 years, she served as the parish’s liaison to the Episcopal Center for Children and also helped out at the home of an elderly couple. She served as President and Treasurer of Phillips Chapter, a parish service group for business and professional women. She was a long-time member of the Altar Guild. She helped raise money for the parish through her participation in the annual Christmas Bazaar and for the wider church by serving as the parish representative for the United Thank Offering.

Margaret Barge was born in July 1909 in her parents’ home on Newport Place near Dupont Circle. She attended Thaddeus Stevens Elementary School (a school that originally opened in 1868 and was the first in the District built with public funds to educate African American children), and then graduated from Dunbar High School. She attended Howard University for two and half years. After taking a government service exam, she was hired at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. In her more than 18 years of federal service there, her tasks were many and varied, such as examining whiskey stamps, currency and invitations. Upon retirement, Margaret joined the local chapter of the AARP, serving as financial secretary and a member of its board. Following Margaret’s passing in 2008, just months shy of her 100th birthday, her funeral was held at Epiphany, a parish she loved and served so faithfully.

< Previous     Next >

Parishioner Reflections

Epiphany is a welcoming, diverse and inclusive community. After 175 years, we remain a sacred space for refuge, rest and prayer.

Listen as a few of our members reflect on why they love Epiphany and what keeps them coming back year after year.

Anne Schmidt, member since 1954

Caroline Klam, 16 year member

Judy Lokerson, member since 1956

September 2: Philip Kearny (1862)

General Winfield Scott called Philip Kearny “the bravest man I ever knew and the perfect soldier.” Kearny was born into affluence in New York City. His father owned an investment firm and was a founder of the New York Stock Exchange. Despite his family’s wishes for him to be a minister or a lawyer, Kearny’s chosen avocation was the military. After receiving a million dollar inheritance at age 21, Kearny pursued his dream. He traveled the world, attended a French cavalry school and saw action in Algiers. Kearny returned to the U.S., specifically Washington, D.C., in the early 1840’s to serve as Aide-de-Camp to Winfield Scott. While in Washington, Kearny’s first daughter, Susan, was baptized at Epiphany in 1842, just eight months after the congregation was founded. Susan’s burial followed six months later. Second daughter, Diana, was baptized in 1844, still before the church was even built. Shortly thereafter Kearny left Washington. During the Mexican War, Kearny lost his arm in combat and returned to Europe to fight with French troops in the Italian War.

At the start of the Civil War, Philip Kearny had the most combat experience of any general of either side. He took command of the First New Jersey Brigade, and trained it to be an outstanding fighting force. He commanded a division in the Peninsular Campaign and the Second Battle of Bull Run. He was responsible for the Union Army Corps identification markers, and a medal awarded in his honor, The Kearny Patch, became the inspiration for the Congressional Medal of Honor. He was killed in the Battle of Chantilly on September 1, 1862 when he inadvertently rode into Confederate lines, and was shot as he turned away. His body was forwarded to the Union line by Robert E. Lee under a flag of truce, and his death was lamented by commanders on both sides. Philip Kearny is buried in Arlington National Cemetery today. On his grave is an equestrian statue, one of only two in the entire cemetery, placed by the state of New Jersey.

< Previous     Next >

September 1: Ely Samuel Parker (1895)

In 1869, President Ulysses Grant appointed Ely S. Parker as Commissioner of Indian Affairs, the first Native American to hold that post. Parker was a Seneca attorney, engineer and tribal diplomat. He was commissioned a lieutenant colonel during the Civil War and rose to the rank of brevet brigadier general. As an adjutant to General Grant, Parker wrote the Confederate surrender terms that were signed by Robert E. Lee at Appomattox. Ely Samuel Parker was his Anglicized name, but his real name was Ha-sa-no-an-da. As a youth on the Tonawanda reservation in western New York, he quickly learned that the owner of an Indian name was not taken seriously in the world of white men. For almost half a century, Parker battled racial prejudice.

As a youth, he entered a missionary school to improve his poor English. After graduation, he felt he could do the most good for his people by becoming a lawyer. After studying for three years, he was denied admission to the bar because of the color of his skin. Parker began his career in public service by working as an interpreter and diplomat to the Seneca chiefs in their negotiations about land and treaty rights. Parker studied engineering and found employment working on the Erie Canal. The U.S. government then sought him out to supervise construction of levees and buildings. In 1860 his duties took him to Galena, Illinois where he met and made friends with a clerk in a harness store, a former Army captain named Ulysses S. Grant. On December 23, 1867, Ely S. Parker married Minnie O. Sackett at the Church of the Epiphany. His old friend, U.S. Grant, gave the bride away and served as Parker’s best man.

< Previous     Next >

August 31: Isabel Coleman Freeman (1929)

The generocity of Isabel Freeman and her sister, Margaret Buckingham, played a significant role in the undergirding of Epiphany’s ministry in the first half of the 20th Century. Isabel was the second child, first daughter of William Grigsby Freeman and Margaret Coleman Freeman. Isabel’s father was a military man, who died when she was 15. Her mother was the heiress and part owner of an iron furnace business in southeastern Pennsylvania. In the 1850’s, Isabel’s mother and aunt purchased a home in Washington, which is today the parish house for St. John’s Church, Lafayette Square. It’s hard to know what drew the family to Epiphany. Isabel’s aunt became a big supporter of the Epiphany Church Home. Isabel and her sister seemed to have followed in those footsteps, supporting a variety of Epiphany ministries. Two of their gifts that are still prominent today are the parish house (1911) and the bells in Epiphany’s tower (1922).

The family moved between homes in Washington (DC), Cornwall (PA) and Bar Harbor (ME) depending on the seasons. Isabel’s death occurred at the end of August, a time of the year when the family would have been living in Cornwall. Her funeral was in the library of their home there. After her sister’s death many years later, a series of stained glass windows were installed at Epiphany depicting Matthew, Chapter 25 (“For I was hungry and you gave me meat…”). The accompanying plaque reads, “In loving memory of Isabel Freeman and Margaret Buckingham, Whose faith and good works are woven into the life of this church.”

< Previous     Next >

August 30: +Donald James Davis (2007)

Donald J. Davis is one of the eight clergy associated with Epiphany that became a bishop. Davis was born in 1929 in Newcastle, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Westminster College (1949) and Princeton Seminary (1952). He was ordained deacon and priest in 1955 by Bishop Angus Dun at Washington Cathedral. The first years of Davis’ ministry were spent as an assistant at the Church of the Epiphany. In 1957, Davis became the first rector of St. Christopher’s in Carmel, Indiana. This was followed by postings at Trinity, Toledo, Ohio and Trinity, Bloomington, Indiana. At the latter, Davis was also a chaplain at Indiana University. In 1973, Davis was elected bishop coadjutor of Northwestern Pennsylvania. A year later, he succeeded William Crittenden as the sixth bishop of that diocese.

During his episcopate, Davis chaired a number of positions in the House of Bishops and traveled to many developing countries while serving on the executive council of the Episcopal Church. He served on the Standing Committee on Church Music that authorized the current hymnal, known as The Hymnal 1982. Davis’ most historic act came on January 1, 1977 when he ordained Jacqueline Means as the first woman priest in the Episcopal Church under a new canon passed by General Convention the previous September. The ordination took place at All Saints Church in Indianapolis. Davis was substituting at the last minute for Bishop John Craine who was hospitalized. Both men had been among the 67 bishops who sponsored the resolution to allow women to be ordained.

< Previous

August 29: William Willis Wylie Wood (1882)

William W.W. Wood was one of the pioneers in the United States steam navy. He was the third Engineer-in-Chief of the Bureau of Steam Engineering, serving from 1873 until 1877, with the relative rank of Commodore. He followed in the footsteps of the first Engineer-in Chief, Benjamin Isherwood, who served during the Civil War and was an Epiphany parishioner as well. Wood was born outside of Raleigh, North Carolina, where his father was a large planter. After study with a private tutor and following the death of his father, Wood was sent to a college in Maryland. The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad was then under construction. Wood first saw a locomotive and it was this that developed his love for mechanics. After further study, Wood entered the West Point Foundry where he completed an apprenticeship, acquiring a thorough knowledge of engineering. Later, he superintended the erection and fitting of the engines for the steam frigate Missouri, the first naval vessel on which machinery was successfully employed.

Wood was appointed to the navy in 1845 with the rank of Chief Engineer and superintended the construction of the boilers and engines of the steam frigate Merrimac at Cold Spring, New York. During the Civil War he rendered valuable services on special duty connected with the steam engineering service at the navy yards in New York, Philadelphia and Boston. Wood was head of the Department of Steam Engineering at the Naval Academy, Chief Engineer of the New York Navy Yard and eventually Chief of the Bureau of Steam Engineering, headquartered in Washington, D.C. It was at this time that Wood became associated with Epiphany. His youngest daughter, Emilie Grace, was baptized at the church at age 17, followed by her confirmation five months later. Following Wood’s death in 1882, his funeral was at Epiphany prior to his burial in Oak Hill Cemetery.

< Previous     Next >

August 28: William A. Bradley (1867)

Shortly after becoming the nation’s capital, Congress enacted legislation to have the city governed by a presidentially-appointed mayor and popularly elected city council. William A. Bradley was appointed by President Andrew Jackson and served as mayor from 1834 to 1836. Bradley was born in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania. His father was a physician who moved to D.C. to take a position with the Post Office Department. His uncle, Abraham Bradley, purchased the land that later became Chevy Chase, Maryland. Bradley had a solid education in private schools. His father got him a job as a messenger for a local bank and over time Bradley rose in the ranks until he was appointed president of the bank. He counted among his friends former presidents and many prominent men of the day.

In the 1830’s and 1840’s, Bradley ran a mail contracting business, obtaining a near monopoly on the hauling of U.S. mail on routes south of Washington. Bradley was appointed postmaster of the city. While in that post, Bradley was named a director of the inaugural board of directors of the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal Company. Bradley purchased Analostan Island (now Theodore Roosevelt Island) and developed it as an entertainment resort. Bradley was married and had three children. His youngest daughter was married at Epiphany in 1863. Two grandchildren from his son’s marriage were baptized at the church in 1864 and 1866. Following Bradley’s death on August 28, 1867, his funeral was at Epiphany with burial at Glenwood Cemetery.

< Previous     Next >

August 27: +Harry Lee Doll (1984)

In Epiphany’s 175-year history, eight clergy associated with the church have gone on to become bishops. Four of these were rectors and four were assistant rectors. One of the assistants was Harry Lee Doll. After initially considering a career as a physician, Doll changed course after graduating from William and Mary and pursued a divinity degree from Virginia Theological Seminary. In 1933, Doll was married, ordained a priest and began his clerical career as an assistant rector at the Church of the Epiphany. After two years, Doll was called as rector of Christ Church in Alexandria, Virginia. He served parishes in Texas and Maryland before being elected bishop suffragan (and later coadjutor) of the Diocese of Maryland. His institution as the tenth bishop of Maryland was on November 22, 1963, the same day as President Kennedy’s assassination.

Doll’s ministry was marked by deep commitment in several areas of church and community. The civil rights movement swept across the country during his episcopate. Doll called it “the greatest religious issue of our time, not only in this nation but in the world.” He fostered close ecumenical ties with the Roman Catholic authorities in Baltimore. He supported the Episcopal Church’s move towards a new prayer book and women’s ordination. His middle daughter, Mary Chotard Doll, became a priest and was an early contender for bishop. In 1986 in a special diocesan convention held at Epiphany, Mary lost the election for suffragan bishop of Washington to Ronald Haines. Three years later, Barbara Harris would became the first female bishop in the Anglican Communion.

< Previous     Next >