September 10: National Register of Historic Places Listing (1971)

On September 10, 1971, the Church of the Epiphany in downtown Washington, D.C. was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). The NRHP is the U.S. government’s official list of districts, sites, buildings, structures and objects deemed worthy of preservation. The passage of the National Historic Preservation Act in 1966 established the National Register and the process for adding properties to it. Of the more than one million properties on the National Register, 90,000 are listed individually. The remaining are contributing resources within historic districts. For most of its history, the National Register has been administered by the National Park Service, an agency within the U.S. Department of the Interior. Contrasted to a NRHP listing, a National Historic Landmark is recognized for its outstanding historical significance. Of the 90,000 listings on the NRHP, only 2,500 are National Historic Landmarks.

The nomination for Epiphany’s addition to the National Register was completed by Suzanne Ganschinietz, Architectural Historian and Nancy C. Taylor, Landmarks Historian with the National Capital Planning Commission. It is interesting to note that at the time the commission was located at 1325 G Street, next door to the church. On the nomination form’s checklist of “Areas of Significance,” items indicated were architecture, religion and other (“Civil War Hospital; Notable early parishioners”). The nomination’s statement of significance opens with the following, “The Joint Committee on Landmarks has designated the Church of the Epiphany a Category II landmark which contributes significantly to the cultural heritage and visual beauty of the District of Columbia.”

< Previous     Next >

No comments yet

Add comment