August 28: William A. Bradley (1867)

Shortly after becoming the nation’s capital, Congress enacted legislation to have the city governed by a presidentially-appointed mayor and popularly elected city council. William A. Bradley was appointed by President Andrew Jackson and served as mayor from 1834 to 1836. Bradley was born in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania. His father was a physician who moved to D.C. to take a position with the Post Office Department. His uncle, Abraham Bradley, purchased the land that later became Chevy Chase, Maryland. Bradley had a solid education in private schools. His father got him a job as a messenger for a local bank and over time Bradley rose in the ranks until he was appointed president of the bank. He counted among his friends former presidents and many prominent men of the day.

In the 1830’s and 1840’s, Bradley ran a mail contracting business, obtaining a near monopoly on the hauling of U.S. mail on routes south of Washington. Bradley was appointed postmaster of the city. While in that post, Bradley was named a director of the inaugural board of directors of the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal Company. Bradley purchased Analostan Island (now Theodore Roosevelt Island) and developed it as an entertainment resort. Bradley was married and had three children. His youngest daughter was married at Epiphany in 1863. Two grandchildren from his son’s marriage were baptized at the church in 1864 and 1866. Following Bradley’s death on August 28, 1867, his funeral was at Epiphany with burial at Glenwood Cemetery.

< Previous     Next >

No comments yet

Add comment