April 19: Parish Symbol (1965)
On the front of the Easter Day 1965 bulletin, the Church of the Epiphany introduced a new symbol for the parish. Rector Edgar Romig gave the following description, “The new symbol of our parish appears here for the first time. It was designed by the Rev. Dr. Edward N. West, Canon Sacrist of the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, New York City. The large cross, which includes four smaller crosses, is called an “epiphany cross” because, like the love of Christ in the world, it reaches to the four points of the compass. The stars appear in the coat of arms of President Washington and in the seal of the Diocese. The walled crown, also included in the diocesan seal, is a symbol of this capital city. We are extremely grateful to Canon West for his fine gift to us.”
Canon Edward West was an authority on liturgical art. In addition to Epiphany’s symbol, he created the official emblem of the worldwide Anglican Communion, designed the coat of arms for the Diocese of Albany, as well as Episcopal rings, stained glass windows, altar frontals, processional crosses and religious vestments. Born in Boston, he graduated from Boston University in 1931. He was ordained a deacon in 1934 following his graduation from the General Theological Seminary and was ordained a priest in 1935. He served as curate and later as rector of Trinity Church in Ossining, N.Y., and later became the sacrist at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine.