April 8: Episcopal Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital (1897)

“On April 8, 1897, the doors of the Episcopal Eye, Ear, and Throat Hospital were thrown open for the reception of patients of all creeds and color who might be suffering with diseases of the eye, ear, nose or throat. Since its opening no sufferer unable to pay has been turned away, but thousands have entered and have been treated and relieved or cured, and have gone away with grateful hearts to speak of this merciful charity, which has been established and is maintained by the Christian men and women of Washington.”

With these words, Epiphany’s Parish Guide announced the beginning of a new outreach for the congregation. The hospital was to be administered under Episcopal Church auspices with the Bishop of Washington as president of its Board of Directors. The Church of the Epiphany established a hospital committee, which was very successful in raising money. Epiphany parishioners gave more than one-third of the funds that kept the hospital going during its first five years. The hospital continued to operate until 1958 when it merged with Garfield and Emergency Hospitals to from the Washington Hospital Center. The chapel at that new institution came from the former Episcopal Eye, Ear, and Throat Hospital.

< Previous     Next >

1 Comment

  1. Edward K Campbell

    Wed 07th Jun 2017 at 7:09 pm

    Consider changing:
    ” the doors of the Episcopal Eye, Ear, and Throat Hospital were thrown open…”
    to
    ” the doors of the Episcopal Eye, Ear, and Throat Hospital opened…”
    also, in the following phrase change “from” to”form.”
    “merged with Garfield and Emergency Hospitals to from the Washington Hospital Center…”

    Reply

Add comment