April 3: Anna Lizzie Giesy (1889)

When the Rev. Samuel Giesy became Epiphany’s sixth rector in 1885, he moved into the rectory with Sarah, his wife, and Anna, his single adult daughter. Anna quickly threw herself into many areas of church work. She became a teacher in the Morning Sunday School. She took a great interest in the Men’s Meeting of the Epiphany Mission in southwest Washington, at one point helping them to procure a piano. Outside organizations with which she became involved were the Guild of the Guiding Star and the Children’s Country Home, the latter being located in NE Washington and serving terminally ill children. In the midst of all this goodly work, Anna’s father died unexpectedly of pneumonia.

Tragically, only about a year later, Anna died of pneumonia. A memorial stained glass window which had been in the works to remember her father would now become a memorial to her as well. Her former Sunday school students contributed. The Giesy Memorial Window is on the east side of the church near the transept and depicts the Sermon on the Mount. The window was dedicated on Easter Sunday 1890. Anna’s funeral at Epiphany was the first to be done by her father’s successor, Randolph McKim. In the Parish Guide, Anna Geisy was remembered as “a faithful and devoted member, one who never ceased to labor for the good of others, and who ever maintained the cheerfulness and courage of a true Christian, even in the midst of sorrow and ill health.”

< Previous     Next >

No comments yet

Add comment